Risks and uncertainties are part of life's great adventure -- accident, illness, theft, natural disaster - they're all built into the working of the Universe, waiting to happen.
Insurance then is man's answer to the vagaries of life. If you cannot beat man-made and natural calamities, well, at least be prepared for them and their aftermath.
Insurance is a contract between two parties - the insurer (the insurance company) and the insured (the person or entity seeking the cover) - wherein the insurer agrees to pay the insured for financial losses arising out of any unforeseen events in return for a regular payment of "premium".
These unforeseen events are defined as "risk" and that is why insurance is called a risk cover.
Hence, insurance is essentially the means to financially compensate for losses that life throws at people - corporate and otherwise.
In this report we will review basic terms of insurance, types of insurance and the trends and challenges the insurance system is facing nowadays. In addition to that we will give an overview of global insurance industry with key data and figures as well as we will analyze the importance of insurance in todays life.
The report comprises of 4 chapters, each of them studying different aspects of insurance.
Table of Content
Chapter 1. The Origin of Insurance
1.1 Definition of Insurance
1.2 History of Insurance
Chapter 2. Key terms of Insurance
2.1 Fundamentals of Insurance Planning
2.2 Types of Insurance
Chapter 3. Global Insurance Industry Overview
3.1 Global Insurance Industry in Figures
3.2 Issues and Challenges in Insurance Market
Chapter 4. Importance of Insurance Industry in Todays Life
1. Federal Fund for Compulsory Medical Insurance. Federal funds for compulsory medical insurance development history and main directions of activity, development prospects for information of Russian-American meeting members within the Public diplomacy program regarding issues of financial management in the healthcare, 09/2008
2. ISFL Insurance update 2008
3. Marn B., Swiss Re, Life Insurance in CEE. Recent Experience and Future Trends, November 2006
4. Top nine insurance industry issues in 2009, PricewaterhouseCoopers 12/2008
5. Vaughan E. J., 1997, Risk Management, New York: Wiley
6. Westall O., The History of Insurance. Business History. Volume 44, Issue 1 January 2002 , pages 95 98
7. World insurance in 2007: emerging markets leading the way. sigma No 3/2008. Swiss Re