All countries, despite cultural and religious differences, have historic figures and role models who represent their national values. These people define their countrys culture and show the world their nations best qualities. These figures may be politicians, or athletes, or even authors and artists.
Human civilization has seen numerous people who have changed the course of history and influenced their sphere of living by their charisma, intelligence and talent. Be it geographical expansion, art and entertainment, science and technology, literature, politics, statesmanship or games and sports, these individuals have created history by their work.
Great explorers like Vasco Da Gama and Columbus discovered new lands while Alexander- the Great almost conquered the whole world. Similarly, geniuses like Aristotle, Leonardo Da Vinci, and Albert Einstein expanded the horizon of knowledge by bringing to light new thoughts and inventions. We have had similar great talents in the field of art and entertainment and sports, who have amused us all with their extra-ordinary talent.
The purpose of this paper is to demonstrate the role of the USA and its people in the society and world culture.
In this paper we will focus on two main aspects: the names of outstanding personalities in the USA and their role in the history and world culture.
The second part of the work includes different tests, quizzes and games which can be used in English lessons dedicated to famous personalities.
This topic seems to me very interesting because it concentrates on the lives of outstanding people, their contribution to the world and society, they also can be taken as role models for modern youth.
I believe this research can be useful not only for teachers but also for students.
The paper consists of an introduction, 3 chapters, a conclusion and a bibliography.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. USA. Overview 4
1.1 Great Presidents of the USA 4
Chapter 2. American culture 8
2.1 Literature 8
2.2 Cinematograph 11
2.3 Business leaders and philanthropists 14
Chapter 3. Tests, quizzes and games 20
1. Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2007 United States Census Bureau.
2. Meyers Jeffrey. Hemingway: A Biography. New York: Da Capo, p. 139. 1999
3. Jefferson Thomas . The writings of Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson
4. Smith Andrew F. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 13132.2004
5. Davis Fred . Fashion, Culture, and Identity. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, p. 69. 1992
6. Encyclopaedia of USA History: энциклопедия истории США
7. A People's History of American Empire (Graphic Adaptation) by Howard Zinn
8. American Empire in the Pacific: From Trade to Strategic Balance, 1700-1922 (Pacific World: Lands, Peoples and History of the Pacific, 1500-1900) by Arthur Power Dudden
9. The American story. Gavian Hamm. Boston 1945
10. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/