1. Management is essentially a matter of organizing people. Managers, especially top managers, have to set objectives for their organizations, and then develop particular strategies that will enable the company to achieve them. This will involve allocating the company's human, capital and physical resources. Strategies can often be subdivided into tactics – the precise methods in which the resources attached to a strategy are employed.
2. Managers analyze the activities of the organization and the relations among them. They divide the work into distinct activities and then into individual jobs. They select people to manage these activities and perform the jobs. And they often need to make the people responsible for performing individual jobs form effective teams.
3. The founders of a business usually establish a «mission statement» - a declaration about what the business is and what it will be in the future. The business's central values and objectives will follow from this. But because the business environment is always changing, companies will occasionally have to modify or change their objectives. It is part of top management's role to balance today's objectives and needs against those of the future, and to take responsibility for innovation.
4. Efficient managers are good at communication and motivation. They need to communicate the organization's objectives to the people responsible for attaining them. They motivate their staff to work well, to be productive, and to contribute something to the organization. They make decisions about pay and promotion.
5. Managers are also responsible for measuring the performance of their staff, and ensuring that the objectives and performance targets set for the whole organization and for individual employees are reached. Furthermore, they have to train and develop their staff, so that their performance continues to improve.
6. Top managers also have to manage a business's social responsibilities and its impact on the environment. They should establish and maintain good relations with customers, major suppliers, bankers, government agencies, and so on.
7. Successful performance of these tasks requires many different qualities and skills, such as being flexible, creative, knowledgeable, having good communication and leadership skills and many others.
8. Educated managers should be aware of modern management theory, e. g., Just In Time, Team-working, Total Quality Management (TQM), Learning organizations.
9. The Team-working theory states that by encouraging employees to work in very fluid teams, responsibility is shared. Employees and managers at all levels develop a better self-identity and work becomes more interesting and productive.
КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА № 1 (I семестр)
Для студентов специальностей «Менеджмент
Management and top managers
Прочитайте и устно переведите весь текст.
Менеджеры и топ менеджеры
Ответьте письменно на вопросы.
1. What do top managers have to do for their organizations?
2. What can strategies be subdivided into?
3. What is a «mission statement»?
4. Why do companies have to modify or change their objectives?
5. Do the staff make decisions about their pay and promotion on their own?
6. Who do managers have to establish good relations with?
7. What kind of skills and qualities should managers have in order to perform their functions successfully?
8. Just in Time, TQM, Learning organizations come from the history of management theory, don't they?
9. What is the main idea of Total Quality Management?
10. How do staff and companies benefit from the Learning organizations theory?
Дополните следующие сочетания подходящими словами из текста и переведите их на русский язык.
1. to set objectives
2. to develop strategies
3. to allocate resources
4. to analyze activities
5. to establish a «mission statement»
6. to motivate staff
7. to make decisions
8. to measure performance
9. to establish and maintain good relations
10. to meet needs
Соединив слова из левой и правой колонок, образуйте словосочетания, все из которых встречаются в тексте. Переведите их на русский язык.
1.- c. training programmes - обучающие программы
Выпишите из 1 и 2 абзацев предложения с глаголом «to be», определите его функцию и переведите предложения на русский язык.
Определите значение окончания -s, -es, ‘s в словах из 2 и 4 абзацев и запишите их в таблицу, приведенную ниже.
Выпишите из 2 и 3 абзацев все глаголы и определите их видовременную форму.
Напишите в сравнительной и превосходной степени следующие прилагательные из текста.
Выпишите из 8, 9, 10 абзацев предложения, содержащие сравнительную и превосходную форму прилагательных и переведите их на русский язык.
Найдите в тексте и выпишите 2 предложения, содержащие форму страдательного залога. Переведите их на русский язык.
Письменно переведите 4 и 5 абзацы.
Составьте свои предложения на английском языке, используя следующие слова и выражения из текста.